Sunday, May 3, 2015

Brisket is the new...


Since my first retirement in 2009, I started to cook more.  I'm not that great still but am trying and in fact there have been some things I cooked that worked out pretty well.  Regrettably I don't remember many of the things I learned, cooked and now have forgotten.  So I rely pretty much on the internet for recipes I fancy trying out.

And as of today I wrote down the first recipe.  Brisket.

Why brisket?  Not sure really as I don't really care for it.  When we've traveled in the US BBQ states, brisket always seems a top drawer item but in reality I find it just OK so have decided that its probably me and that with the right rub and cooking method, it should turn out pretty well.



Real Texas brisket, Coopers BBQ style

So I tried this Texan recipe:

3-4 lbs brisket

Dry Rub:
  • 2 tbl chilli powder
  • 2 tbl salt -- waaaay too much, cut it back to 1 teaspoon
  • 1 tbl garlic powder
  • 1 tbl black pepper
  • 1 tbl sugar
  • 2 teaspoon dry mustard (actually I used Sumac as I didn't have any dry mustard, or rather couldn't find it)
Stock for the pan and some red wine.  Add some garlic, onion and bay leaves into the mix.

Roast dry for an hour then for another 2-3 hours after adding the fluids.  Cook at 350 and every so often baste it with the fluid.

It took 15 minutes to prepare and the result is actually pretty darn nice!

I do like this done Irish style, something like corned beef in fact.  Hot served with cabbage.  But sliced BBQ style, hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment