Sunday, May 26, 2019

Fried Fish Belly

"Have you ever eaten fried fish belly, Mark?" Lisa asked one day out of the blue. I said, as a matter of fact no I don't think so and as things go when Lisa is around, she, husband Ted and I headed off to find same after tennis one day at THE best place in Penang.

Tong Lek 8 Cafe
Sited in Georgetown, Tong Lek is one step up from a hawker stand but remains a typically comfortable, family style restaurant in the Penang way. Don't expect fancy wall coverings or padded seats is what I am trying to say. However, you can as in so many places BYOB.

Ted is an experienced dining companion so doesn't get in the way of ordering when Lisa is around and I chose very wisely to do the same. I did put my foot down in choice of my curry mee dish (noodle soup) and chose to have mine with minced pork. It was fantastic.

Curry see with minced pork
By the time it had arrived, so had the fried fish skin nibbles which would have been great with beer but were also just fine with the vino that we had brought along too.

Deep fried fish skin
Not sure what the fish was but the main catches hereabouts are either red snapper or tilapia (not farmed) but the skin was amazing.

Deep fried fish belly
I did smirk a bit when the fish belly arrived as the much vaunted dish is just the same as that served at Ye Olde Chippy on Southend sea front, except without the chips, vinegar and lashings of salt. Or newspaper. It wasn't cod or haddock of course, rather red snapper (identified by the skin) and was again really nice.

Isn't everything? I have certainly found it so.... well except for my durian experience which was in all honesty a shocker. 100% for sure the worst thing I have ever had in my mouth. But that wasn't here and will likely be dealt with in a scathing expose at some point or other in these pages.

Veggies, steamed chicken and Loh bak
There was just the three of us so Lisa didn't order that many dishes, however, it must be said that Tong Lek 8 Cafe is a definite keeper in the pantheon of eateries in Penang. Great food, very affordable and if you want my opinion THE best place I have found for Penang style (that is white sauce base) curry mee.

Tong Lek 8 Cafe
16 Jalan Lim Len Teng
10460 George Town
Penang

+60 (0) 16-490 7260

No comments:

Post a Comment